This is published at the FACS website. I found it to be somewhat humorous:
Consider your surgical clerkship. Did you:
- Find that long hours on surgery passed more quickly than short hours on some other clerkships?
- Appreciate the operating room teamwork during a difficult operation, when the nursing, anesthesia, and surgical staff all pulled together?
- Enjoy watching your patients improve daily after major injuries or surgical procedures?
- Feel intrigued by the challenge of managing multiple physiological and psychological problems in your critically ill surgical patients?
- Notice the excitement of your surgical team anticipating a “great case”?
If the answer to some of these questions is “Yes!”, a surgical career is probably right for you.
Damn, no surgery for me.